Country Club of Columbus Logo

Member Login

Tennis History

Director of Tennis Jim Fitzpatrick grew up in Columbus and played many of his Columbus High School matches at the CCC, where his family was a member. After his college career at CSU, he began his professional teaching career in Florida. He returned to the Club to become our Director of Tennis in 1992. Today, after 28 years, he oversees all phases of our tennis operation. These include daily or weekly drills, private lessons, USTA League teams, Junior Academy (led by assistants Mike Greer and Diego Motivar), monthly social events as well as casual pick-up games. Pickle ball has recently been added to the available activities under the tennis umbrella. </br></br> The tennis program at the CCC today is an active, vibrant and exciting operation for members of all ages. Come get in the Swing of Things!! </br></br> <strong>Contact Jim or any of the staff at the shop 706-323-9116.</strong>

Facilities

The tennis program at the CCC began in 1953, shortly after a tornado did major damage to the Club. At that time, two new courts were constructed on the site of what is currently Court #9. About 10 years later, two more courts were added where the current hard court/pickle ball court sits. After a mudslide took out the two courts nearest the hill in 1968, the Club built what are now Courts 1-4, Center and 5, in essence doubling the number of courts as the nation-wide “tennis boom” took off. Simultaneously the first pro shop was built and Swiss star Fred Berli was hired to be the Club’s first full-time professional. In the years since, courts 6-8 were added and in 2000, the current pro shop was renovated into the current facility. Today, the Club’s tennis and pickle ball facility is second to none in comparison to those of similar sized clubs in the south.

 

Competitions

CCC members have an incredible record of accomplishments on the tennis courts. As our Wall of Fame can attest, CCC members have won numerous local, state and national championships, led various college teams and captured USTA League titles at all levels.

In the 1950’s through the 70’s, the Club hosted two premier tennis events - The Men’s Southeastern Invitational and the Women’s Virginia Slims. The SE Invitational began in 1954 and ran through the early 1970’, serving as a major stop along the national Amateur tour and featuring college players working to develop their game, often against former Grand Slam and Davis Cup competitors.

The Virginia Slims tour was the brainchild of Billie Jean King. It was organized in the late 60’s as the worldwide professional women’s tour. A group of Club members worked to bring one of their tournaments to the CCC. It was amazingly successful for two years and featured some of the top stars of the era, including Billie Jean, Chris Evert, Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong. There were packed grandstands to watch the best women players in the world battle on the proud, newly constructed courts of the CCC.

Another long standing competition began in 2000. An inter-club competition called the Evert Cup is held annually between the Club and our cross-town rival. It is a weekend full of social fun, good food and intense competition with over 70 players from each club competing to see who can “bring home the cup.”